Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Monday, February 6, 2012

40 Before I'm 40

My sister is turning 40 this week (wait, was I not supposed to tell anyone about that?)  If my 20th high school reunion wasn't enough to put me into a tailspin, the impending doom of my sister's birthday will surely put me over the edge.  Why my sister's birthday, you ask?  Because that means that mine is looming on the horizon, just waiting to sneak up and attack me when I least expect it.  Ah, the fun of the passing of years, the marking of our lives.

As some of you already know, I try to document my life through scrapbooking.  My latest projects, over the past few years, have been something called "Project Life."  More on that in other posts, but I mention it because I follow the creator of Project Life on her blog and on Facebook.  From time to time, she posts links to other blogs that she finds interesting or inspiring.  Last week she posted a link to a woman's blog about 39 things that she is working on before she turns 39.  The post in itself was not about anything particularly special, just her progress on one particular thing on her list.  But it was enough to get me thinking.  What do I want to accomplish?  Of course, it begs the question of why 40, why should a random number be a watermark for my life and the accounting of my success in life.  Why not 50 or 60?  Then again, this list isn't really about success, but instead, it is about things that I have longed to do, but never got around to doing, or things that I have wanted to do but can't seem to get the spark going to finish.  40 is just a random number, but it seems doable, enough to get me going, but not so far away that my motivation would stall out and I would stop working on these things.

Strange as it may sound, though, I'm having trouble putting the list together.  That's right, I'm having trouble figuring out what to put on my list of 40.  I think I'm up to about 15 or 16.  My birthday is in September, so I figure I have about 30 or 31 months to get the things on my list completed.  But what's on that list?  Of course I have some of the obvious ones, like sky diving (I have a cousin that has done this already!) and to finish writing my novel.  I have other slightly more personal ones (like learning how to swim properly and skiing a blue or black diamond run); there are the quirky ones (learning to pilot a plane and running the LA marathon - I am so NOT a marathon runner!) and the next-to-impossible one (I would love to go to the Oscars!)  And there is even one that is not really about or for me (I've made it my goal to raise at least $50,000 for breast cancer research.)

I guess if I want to get moving on completing the things on the list, I should get moving on the list itself, right?  How about you?  What would be on your list?  Maybe my number 1 should be to finish the list of 40?

No comments: