Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Things I'm learning all over again

Have you ever noticed that there are things you learn as a kid that you forget when you get older? Things that seemed so big and so much fun as a kid just slip away as the years pile on. But why? Where is it written that we have to give up nap time or recess? Where does it say that we can't lay on the floor, kicking and screaming and throw a tantrum when we are tired or upset?

Now that my daughter is getting older (and speaking in full sentences) she is reminding me of the joys of some of the simpler things in life, things that just make a 2 year old's head spin, that us "older" people might have forgotten.

For example, when did Peanut Butter and Jelly get taken off of the list for acceptable lunches? Who says I can't sit down with a glass of milk, and a PBJ? yum.

Another thing our children remind us of, is the beauty of imagination. I am constantly amazed at the view of the world through B's eyes. She had a full blown conversation this morning with the Dora character that is printed on her Pull-up. "Dora said hi to me Mommy." Too cute. Just when the world gets to be too much for me, I sit down and curl up with my teddy bear and tell him all about my day. Sometimes, another person just cannot comfort me the way my old friend, Ted E. Bear can. He's heard it all, and he knows me.

Mickey Mouse rocks! Do you remember the Disneyworld commercial from years ago where a little boy spends the day at D-World and doesn't see Mickey all day, and then, as they are leaving, Mickey taps him on the shoulder? Do you remember that one? Remember the look on the kid's face? Yes, it was made for t.v., but I've seen that look firsthand on B's face. There is something magical about Mickey, and even though our world could be a horrible mess, there is something about stepping over the threshhold of Disneyland or Disneyworld that makes it all disappear.

Some more things that she has reminded me of, or even taught me all over again:
- don't hold a grudge.
- McDonald's can be a gourmet meal and just the right thing some days.
- Just because it doesn't break the skin doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.
- Ice cream always makes you smile- especially when it's smeared all over your face.
- Sometimes a hug does just the trick, and sometimes you need a kiss to make it better too.
- You're never too old for a good bedtime story.
- Winnie-the-Pooh is just as good the 100th time as it was the 1st.
- Sometimes you just have to throw play-doh
- Give me some crayons and a piece of paper and I can create a universe.


Every day I am thankful that I get to see the world through B's eyes. It's like waking up and taking in everything all over again, like everything is new. B doesn't miss much, and loves to point things out. She sings, she talks, she disagrees with me. Everything is an experience. She gives new meaning to the idea of embracing life. I find myself looking for new things to introduce to her, just to see the look of pure wonder on her face. And it helps that it is such an adorable face.

No comments: