Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Just a Few More Hours in the Day, Please?

There is a part in the movie Miracle on 34th Street (the remake with Elizabeth Perkins and whats-his-name that played an attorney on that show on ABC...anyway...) where Santa Claus (or St. Nicholas) explains how he is able to stop at every house in the world (the ones that celebrate Christmas, anyway) in one night.  He says something about slowing time down so that a minute actually equals an hour and "so on and so forth" which then enables him enough time to travel the world in one night's time (adjusting for time changes and the Greenwich line, of course.)  These days, I wonder more and more about the trick of St. Nick and how I can get some of that extra time.

It seems that there are never enough minutes (let alone hours) in the day.  I wake up each morning already feeling hopelessly behind in all things, with nary a hope of catching up.  Ever.  I have scrapbooking projects and gift ideas, albums from trips and places we've visited, all sitting around my craft room, untouched.  For this month, I have a list of things to finish in the next two weeks, Mother's Day projects, a T-Ball team's banner, something for Kensi's baby naming party and several baby albums.  That doesn't take into consideration the ongoing Project 365 (or Project Life) that requires a picture and a bit of journaling every day.  For the most part, I am keeping up on the journaling and taking photos.  It's actually getting them into the album where I tend to struggle.

I keep tabs on the creator of Project Life through her blog and Facebook.  From time to time, she posts links to other blogs by people who are also working on Project Life and includes photos of what their books look like.  I saw one today where the woman talked about her struggle to stay on top of things and that she was several weeks behind on her book.  Then I looked at the photos.  Not only was she making slight changes to the format of the project, to make it "her own," but she was creating parts of it from scratch!  Yikes!  And I'm having trouble keeping up just using the pieces that the project comes with (and my photos.)  To find time to add to it?  Oy!  And of course, in looking at how others are doing their Projects, it just gives me more ideas that I'd love to try on mine, if I only had the time.

As I leave my bedroom to head downstairs, I pass by a stack of things on the linen closet counter - a skirt that Brooklyn has ripped and wants me to fix, a pink stuffed shark that seems to have developed a hole (maybe he bit himself?) and that Brooklyn wants fixed, the front piece to a drawer in the girls' bathroom that came off and needs to be reattached... and the list goes on.  Walking into Kensi's room, I'm greeted by the stacks of clothes that she has already grown out of that need to be sorted to then be stored.

Some days, it is all I can do to come home and collapse on the couch, making sure to place Kensi on the floor in such a way that she can entertain herself without hurting herself, and making sure that Brooklyn isn't near any matches or open flames, and then I crash.  Yesterday I could barely keep my eyes open for the first 1/2 hour I was home, despite Brooklyn's best efforts to get me up and going.

At some point, I rallied to help B write a note to her teacher for an end-of-the-year gift, and then got dinner going.  After dinner and getting the girls to bed, I drew a tiger on orange felt and finished sewing a piece of the team banner together.  I vaguely remember what it felt like to have long days stretching before me with nothing to do and nowhere to go.  I don't necessarily want those days back - at this point I'd settle for one of those long days without distraction, so I could get all of those nagging little projects done and put away.  But where to start?

In the meantime, I'll keep making my lists and trying to keep myself organized (hahaha).  One of these days I'll actually write those submission letters to the magazines and one day, hopefully soon, I'll get back to the Mr. Bear collection and illustrate Greece and the U.K.  Maybe I'll even get to scrapbook our wedding and honeymoon, the 2004 and 2009 vacations, Brooklyn's first 5 years and both of my pregnancies before Kensi's first birthday. (HA!)  But first, a T-ball banner complete with 15 felt baseballs, a baby boy album, some Mother's Day gifts, some party decorations, and a few more pictures of the day.  And I'll keep trying to track down that extra-large, overly jolly guy in a red suit and see if he's got some extra time to spare.

No comments: