Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Monday, September 16, 2013

Falling into Fall?

More like crashing headfirst into Christmas.

At some point last week, I started to rethink my commitments for the remainder of the year and wondered if I had over committed myself.  As one of my events finished up last Thursday (an apparent success), I felt some weight lift from my shoulders.  I thought "I can do this.  I can get it all done."

Then came Yom Kippur and 2 days spent in Temple (mostly) or hanging out at home while the little one napped.  This week I am headed to Las Vegas for a 3 day scrapbooking event.  Keep your snide comments and snickering to yourself.  It is quite the "event" and has a waiting list each year.  I myself spent several years on the waiting list before finally cracking the code to get in.  I signed up for it AGES ago, not realizing how much my life would spin out of control between then and now.

At some point in early Spring, I committed to doing a card swap with some of the ladies who will also be attending the event this weekend.  For those uninitiated in the paper crafting arts, a card swap is where I make a number of cards - all the same, and various other ladies all make a number of cards (the same) for different occasions.  We swap them out and come home with a selection of cards.  Hopefully cute and crafty and hopefully usable.  I myself, feeling quite ambitious, signed up for 2 spots, meaning I would have to make twice as many cards.  At the time I did it, there were only 10 or 12 ladies signed up.  Now there are 28 "spots" for which I must make 28 cards... times 2.  Sitting at my work table last night, furiously gluing pieces together for card design #2, I again questioned my sanity.

I am one of 2 homeroom parents for B's class.  We will be putting together a Halloween "thing" (it's not a classroom party) for her class in the next few weeks.  Before we get there, the teacher's birthday is this week.  We're planning something for next week.  I'm copying and stapling and stuffing in the meantime.  (papers, that is.)

K's birthday is just about a month away.  The location of her party is set, but I've got to start making invitations and thinking about the cake and party favors and.... oh - you mean I'm supposed to get my own child a gift, too?  oy.  In the meantime, you can find me in Vegas at the pool, drink in hand.  This will all fix itself while I'm gone, right?

Next week is my birthday.  Moving on.

In November, I'll be installed as the President of our local Bar Association.  For those of you who aren't "in the know," this does not mean that I'm hanging out at my local watering hole. (I wish!)  Bar Associations are groups of attorneys, usually organized in various geographical areas. (Ho hum, I know.)   When I signed on for this stint, last year, I did not think about how much would be going on around here in October and November.  yikes!   So, I'm installed in November and during December, we have to figure out most of the calendar for the following year.  It should be a breeze by then, right?

Did I mention that Hanukkah was early this year?  It starts the night BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Yes, there may still be some "Black Friday" shopping for me, but I will have already had to cover 2 nights of Hanukkah by then.  And if that's not enough, B's birthday is December 2.  That's right, I've got Hanukkah, Thanksgiving and B's birthday... ALL IN THE SAME WEEKEND!  (Well, technically, I think her birthday is the Monday after, but what's another day?)  Someone get me a drink!  We're still in negotiations about B's party - location, number of friends, etc.  I hate to disappoint her by not having something on her actual B-Day or the closest weekend, but at the same time, everyone will be with their families or out of town.  We will have to see how that one pans out.

As if that was not enough, I'm also fairly active on the Parent Council for K's preschool.  There will be a Thanksgiving "feast" in there somewhere for the little ones and a Hanukkah Pajama Night, so that should keep me busy.

What do you mean I still have to get dinner on the table every night?  What do you mean I still have to go to work every day? 

Needless to say, things will be a little crazy in the Cohen house for the next few months.  It's a good thing I thrive under pressure.  Oh wait - did I just say that out loud?  So maybe I don't "thrive," but I tend to do o.k. when I'm juggling a few things.  I like to make lists, so that helps.  Right now I have a stack of things on my desk, each marked with a post it, and stacked in the order that I need to complete them.  We will see how that goes.

In the meantime, I'll be sitting at my work table tonight, trying to finish up those cards and then pack my stuff for this weekend.  I head out Thursday morning.  Think Rob will be able to hold down the fort while I'm gone?  At least for a few days, I'll be lost in something that doesn't have a deadline.  Of course, come Monday morning, it's back to the whirlwind.  But I'm looking on the bright side.  By the time Hanukkah is over, I'll be able to sit back and coast in through the New Year.  One can hope, anyway.

No comments: