Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Disneyland Family 5K -2014

Monday, January 11, 2010

My How the Time Flies...

Did I spell "flies" right? It's one of those words that never quite looks right, no matter how many times you write it, or how many times you spell check it.

Oh my goodness, it's January! For those of you just following my blog, it's been almost 5 months since my last post. Where has the time gone!?! (For those of you on Facebook, there have been a few more recent posts, but not many.) Life kicks into gear around here just into September, when school starts up and doesn't slow down until the end of January or even into February. There are birthdays (mine, Brooklyn, Rob, Phil and Ray) and the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year's- and do we could Valentine's Day?) and the other stuff that life is made of. You blink at September 1 and suddenly you are in February, looking at red hearts all over the stores. How did I get here? What did I miss!?

Reading back through my last post (on the blog) made me chuckle. I was lamenting the fine layer of dust that seems to constantly cover my family room and celebrating its "live in" feel. I was wishing for someone to materialize in my living room armed with a paint roller and can of paint, with new carpet underfoot. I laugh at myself because sometimes things work themselves out, just not the way you think they will.

We are finally getting new carpet in our family room. Not because we had some overwhelming desire to get it done (5 years after moving into the house) and not because we suddenly found a stash of cash under our mattress. Nope, we're getting new carpet in the family room because Brooklyn got sick. What? Well, she drank some fruit punch CapriSun one afternoon after I picked her up from school (she hadn't been feeling well.) Then I left to do a boutique and a few hours later I got an email from Rob that she had gotten sick and how do you get pink stains out of the carpet and couch. Hmmm. I arrived home to find a trail from the couch to the downstairs bathroom. Needless to say, the carpet's days were numbered. It helps that we did not like the carpet to begin with, so there is no attachment, no desire to save it. When a sale flyer came from a local carpet store advertising a sale on New Year's Day, we were hooked.

From there, the rest was easy (or so it seems in retrospect.) We had them measure the rooms, we picked out something we liked, we scheduled delivery and installation. Walking back into the house after the successful carpet shopping trip, I said "hey, if we're getting new carpet, now is a great time to paint!" Having already bought primer a few months ago, I went into the garage the very next day and collected my supplies. That weekend we painted the family room with primer. Of course, when I went to get more primer (the walls had been an ugly brown) the nice man at Home Depot told me that I didn't need primer any more, there was now a paint that didn't require it. (Umm, right.) So I picked out a sample of yellow that I liked (yes, it was similar to the yellow splotches already on the walls) and we got to work.

I won't bore you with the details (if you're read this far, you're hooked anyway), but I will tell you that we put down the yellow on Saturday night after B went to bed and I did the touch ups yesterday. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than the brown that it was and my couch is back where it belongs. The carpet comes in on Monday and I can't wait. I'm already looking forward to being able to comfortably sit on the floor.

To celebrate the end of painting (for now, at least, until I decide to tackle the living and dining room), I played Wii "Just Dance" and made a fool of myself. But that is a story for another day...

No comments: